Google launched Pixel XL alongside Pixel in October 2016.Under the hood Pixel XL has Snapdragon 821 chipset and 4 GB ram.It has 5.5 inches 1440p AMOLED display with Corning Gorilla Glass 4 protection.Pixel XL has 12.3 MP camera at back with dual-tone LED and 8 MP camera at front.Pixel XL also support electric image stabilization with the help of gyroscope and the HDR+ feature that allows you to take some stunning looking pictures.Pixel XL comes with Android 7.1 Nougat out of the box.The best feature of Pixel XL is Google Assistant which is only for Pixel smartphones.But there are always some things that you want to change.To do so your need to root your Pixel XL and install a custom recovery on it.
Rooting your smartphone and flashing custom recovery allows you to make some deep changes and overcome the restricts that Google put on Pixel XL and make some changes into your smartphone.Chainfire released root method for Google Pixel and Pixel XL.But TeamWin recently released TWRP Recovery for Pixel XL.and the old root method and TWRP Recovery does not work together.So Chainfire comes with another update for SuperSU that allows both TWRP Recovery and SuperSU root work together on Pixel XL.
Getting root access and flashing TWRP Recovery on your Pixel XL allow you to flash custom ROM on your smartphone if you don't like the look of your Pixel XL.Rooting also helps you in overclocking and underclocking your smartphone.There are many apps that require root access to do the certain task.TWRP Recovery helps in creating a full backup of your Pixel XL.You can also flash tweak files with the help of TWRP recovery.Here we are going to show you how you can flash TWRP Recovery and root your Pixel XL.You need to flash TWRP recovery file with the help of ADB and Fastboot.Then you need to flash Chainfire's given SuperSu file with the help of TWRP recovery to get root access on your Pixel XL.So if you want to install TWRP Recovery on your Pixel XL and also get root access then follow the below guide.This guide helps you step by step in flashing TWRP Recovery on Pixel XL and then flash root files with the help of TWRP Recovery.
WARNING - Rooting your smartphone and flashing custom recovery will void its warranty.We are not responsible if your device gets damaged during the rooting procedure.Make sure your device has at least 50-60 percent battery backup.
- Minimal ADB and Fastboot Setup
- Download the both .zip and .img files of TWRP Recovery from this link.
How to flash TWRP Recovery on Pixel XL
- Make sure that bootloader of your Pixel XL is unlocked.
- Install the USB Driver and Minimal ADB and Fastboot Setup on your computer.
- Connect your Pixel XL to your computer using a data cable.
- Move the .zip TWRP Recovery file into internal storage of your Pixel XL.
- Enable Developer options by going to Settings>>About tab and tap on Build number 7 times.
- Enable USB Debugging by going to Settings>>Developer options>>USB Debugging.
- Open the folder where you install the Minimal ADB And Fastboot Setup.
- Move the .img file of TWRP Recovery into ADB and Fastboot folder.
- Power off your smartphone and boot into bootloader mode by pressing and holding Volume down and Power button together.
- Press Shift+Right click on empty space in ADB and Fastboot mode.
- Select Open command window here to open ADB and Fastboot command window.
- In command window type "fastboot boot TWRP-Recovery-IMG-File-Name".Change TWRP-Recovery-IMG-File-Name with the name of .img TWRP Recovery file.
- This will boot your smartphone into TWPR Recovery.Now, you need to flash TWRP Recovery zip file to make it permanent.
- Tap on Install in TWRP Recovery.
- Select .zip TWRP Recovery file from the internal storage of your Pixel XL.
- Swipe to flash the TWRP Recovery file.
How to Root Pixel XL using TWRP Recovery
- Move the SuperSu.zip file into internal storage of your Pixel XL.
- Boot your smartphone into recovery mode by giving the "fastboot boot recovery" command in ADB and Fastboot command prompt.
- In TWRP Recovery tap on Install button.
- Select the SuperSu.zip file.
- Swipe to confirm the rooting process.
- Once, the rooting process is completed you can restart your Pixel XL normally.